Active Directory is a centralized controller of network and client computers in Server 2008 computer. It helps you to configure and control DHCP, DNS, File Server, Print Server, Remote Server and other related services. And before you start to control windows server 2008 centrally for client computers, you must ensure that you have installed Active Directory and other related roles in your server 2008 computer. So that your server 2008 computer can perform its tasks smoothly. In today’s tutorial, I am going to show you on installing Windows Server 2008 Active Directory.
Requirement for Installing Windows Server 2008 Active Directory :
- Installed Windows Server 2008 Operating System
- Admin User Account with Password
- Minimum 1 installed LAN Card
Now start Installing Windows Server 2008 Active Directory :
i) Installing Active Directory DOMAIN SERVICES :
1. Login to your Server 2008 computer with admin user account.
2. Open Server manager from Start Menu. Shown in below picture.
3. Server Manager Window will open. From here go to Roles Summery and click on “Go to Roles“. Shown in below picture.
4. Click on Add Roles. Shown in below picture.
5. Now Add Roles Wizard will open. Check in “Active Directory Domain Services” and click on next. Shown in below picture.
6. You will get a new window about Active Directory Domain Service Details. Read the information carefully and click on Next. Shown in below picture.
7. Click on Install.
8. Now Active Directory Domain Service will start installing. Shown in below picture.
8. When it done, you will get successful message. Click on Close. Shown in below picture.
After installing this Active Directory Domain Services, you need to run dcpromo.exe to use Active Directory Properly. Here is the process to run DCPROMO.EXE
ii) Running DCPROMO.EXE
1. Click on Start from Desktop and open RUN.
2. Type dcpromo.exe and press enter. Shown in below picture.
3. It will start a new wizard. Read the information and click on next. Shown in below picture.
4. Click on Next.
5. Select “Create a new domain in a new forest” and click on next. Shown in below picture.
6. Type the forest root domain name and click on next. Shown in below picture.
7. Select the Forest Functional Level and click on next. Shown in below picture.
8. Select domain functional level and click on next. shown in below picture.
Note : Try to use same forest functional level and domain functional level.
9. Click on Next.
10. In next option, don’t change the Database, Log files and SYSVOL folder location. Just click on Next. Shown in below picture.
11. Type the password for Administrator Directory Restore Service and click on next. Shown in below picture.
Note : if you want, you can leave the password empty. But for security reason, I will strongly suggest you to use password.
12. Click on NEXT.
13. Now computer will start to install Active Directory Domain Services Installation. Shown in below picture.
14. When it done, Click on Finish and Restart your computer.
15. Now your Computer is ready to perform as a Active Directory Domain Controller.
Thank you message :
If you found this article helpful, please share it with your friends and family. Who knows, maybe they are facing this problem and need help to solve. So please share this article to help them.