Group Policy is a feature in Microsoft Windows NT family that helps to control User and Computer Accounts centrally. It also helps to setup the settings for computers and users account such as operating system, applications, file access permission and many more in Active Directory. In this tutorial, I am going to show you, how to use Group Policy in Active Directory Organizational Unit.
Use Group Policy in Active Directory Organizational Unit
Follow this step by step guide to use Group Policy in Organizational Unit:
1. login to your domain controller with Admin User Account
2. Open your Active Directory Users and Computer from Start Menu. Shown below picture
3. Active Directory page will open. Choose your Organizational Unit and right mouse click on it. Then click on Properties. Shown in below picture
4. Organizational Unit properties page will open. Navigate to Group Policy. Shown in below picture
5. Click on New. Shown in below picture
6. Type the Group Policy Name. Then click on Edit. Shown in below picture
7. Group Policy settings page will open. Shown in below picture
For tutorial purposes, I am going to setup settings for users “Prohibit Access to the Control Panel” in Group policy.
Explanation of this Group Policy Settings :
This Group Policy Settings will denied access when a user from this Organizational Unit will try to open control panel.
If you want to practice this group policy settings, follow this steps :
i. Expand User Configuration in Group Policy. Shown in below picture
ii. Navigate to Administrative Templates > Control Panel. Shown in below picture
iii. From the right panel double click on “Prohibit access to the control panel”. Shown in below picture
iv. A new window will open. From this window select Enabled, click Apply and OK. Shown in below picture
v. Close Group Policy Object Editor page.
7. Then Close the Group Policy & Organizational Page. Shown in below picture
Extra Tips from emdadblog : Sometime after implementing new group policy settings or changing for OU, it takes time to take effect in user accounts.
To take immediate effect for group policy in OU, you can use a small command in RUN option. The command is
Then press Enter from keyboard. It will update the group policy settings for OU immediately.
shown in below picture
Done. You have successfully implement Group Policy in Active Directory Organizational Unit.
Cautions : Be careful to play with Group Policy Settings. Because misused of Group Policy settings will hamper users or computers normal working activities.
Need Help ?
If you have any problem regarding to use group policy in Active Directory Organizational Unit, then give me a shout at below comment box.
I will be happy to help you.